NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) — A Nashville family bought a generator to heat their freezing home during the ice storm, only to be told by their homeowners association to remove it immediately or face fines.
Talia Caravello and her family have been without power in their Wedgewood-Houston townhome since the storm hit Sunday morning. With indoor temperatures dropping to 30 degrees, they drove to Spring Hill to find an available generator, spending around $1,500 on the unit plus extension cords and space heaters.
“We were so happy, and we were able to have our friends here who also didn’t have power,” Caravello said. “We all got to be together, and you know, that makes it a lot better when you’re hanging out with people that you love. But even sleeping at night, it’s still tough, no matter the layers.”
Caravello said her family set up the generator safely outside on the porch and ran the cords through their door during the blackout.
But just hours after starting up the generator, Caravello received an email from their HOA management company, Metropolitan Properties, demanding they “remove it immediately.” The letter cited fire hazard concerns and said the generator didn’t fit the community’s aesthetic guidelines.
“Super angry because why is that even a possibility right now? Why do they care so much when people are just trying to stay warm and survive?” Caravello said about being forced to move the generator inside.
Living conditions force family from home
The family had been trying to stay in their home despite the brutal conditions, using candles and running faucets to prevent freezing.
Without the generator, they’ve been forced to stay at a friend’s house on the other side of town.
“We try to spend time here [at home], but it’s unbearable,” Caravello said. “It’s super weird and upsetting because we need it [the generator]. Obviously, anyone wants to have power. I’d much rather get electricity back than have to use that forever.”
HOA reverses decision after WSMV pushes for answers
The HOA initially threatened to fine the family if they continued using the generator. The letter sent to Caravello simply thanked her for “helping to keep Southview on Second Townhomes an attractive and desirable place to live.”
However, after WSMV repeatedly contacted the management company, the HOA board agreed to make a one-time exception, allowing Caravello to use the generator until power is restored.
“Regarding the installation of an unapproved and improperly installed gas generator outside the condominium, as well as the associated noise disturbance, the Board has agreed to make a one-time exception,” property manager Barbara Reid said in an emailed statement. “Due to the recent weather-related issues and the loss of power at the property, the Board will allow temporary use of the generator.”
The Wedgewood-Houston area has been without power since the historic ice storm began Sunday morning. Nashville Electric Service leaders said it might take until this weekend for all homes in Nashville to get their power back.